Every now and then you go to the cinema just to watch a film, not necessarily because you think the film you're gonna see will be good, but just to pass time or hang out with mates. What's awesome is when you go watch one of these 'meh' films and they turn out to be really good. Below is a list of my top 3 'movie surprises', enjoy.
3-Zombieland
On the surface Zombieland just looked like another zombie spoof movie, after all Shaun of the Dead pretty much owns that area and will for the considerable future. However, what I found surprising when I watched Zombieland wasn't the humor, but the main plot. I have to admit now that I didn't actually find the film that funny, there were times when I laughed but I really wouldn't slot it into the comedy category. What did it for me was the characters, who were deep and nicely constructed, as well as the premise of the film which revolves around a set of rules that the protagonist lives his apocalyptic life by. These rules pop up on the screen in a sort of 'video-game format' every time they're used, which in itself I found really cool.
The plot evolves nicely, as well as the characters, the action scenes are brutal and there is a lot more than meets the eye with this zombie-comedy, well it's not funny but that doesn't mean it's not a good movie.
2-TRON: Legacy
I went to watch Tron expecting a visually brilliant action movie and nothing more, but as things got going I could see that this really was one of those 'must-watch' films. First of all I expected hollow characters, but what I found were a cast that worked together very nicely and created some powerful scenes. The film was a lot less reliant upon action than I expected it to be, although (of course) these scenes were awesome. Although its a given, the film looked beautiful and exists as a dark metallic world brought to life by an infinite supply of neon lights. The biggest surprise for me was the meaning behind the film which was; "Perfection is impossible, but it is the imperfections of life that make it worth living." giving away anymore will kind of ruin the film, but for me a narrative needs something beneath the surface to truly satisfy me. The soundtrack by Daft Punk was also really cool, it worked as a combination of retro video-game music and a delicate symphony, and to prove how cool the soundtrack is I have it on my iPod.
Tron looks, sounds and is awesome. An action movie that has a nice theme and some cool characters. Definitely worth checking out.
1-The A-Team
This film reaches the number one point out of the sheer confusion I felt when I actually began to enjoy the film. I went in telling myself it would suck, I really went to hang out with a friend, but it didn't take me long to realize that it was actually a good movie. The characters were very strong and quirky, the action scenes were cheesy yet enjoyable and the overall plot had a few twists and turns along the way. This movie is one that is great fun if it isn't taken too seriously, give it a go because you will no doubt be surprised, hopefully as much as I was.
No comments:
Post a Comment