After being ill all day I, for some deranged reason, decided to watch 'The Road'. It's a film that caught my attention upon its release yet it's taken me around a year to finally sit down and give it a shot. I expected a lot from the film, it uses a context that I really enjoy (the post-apocalyptic setting I feel presents a lot of interesting opportunities). To keep things simple, the movie follows the journey of a man and his son as they battle against starvation and cannibals to reach their destination; the coast. The film focuses mostly upon moral issues and the father and son relationship being pushed to its limits. It kinda revolves around the question "What would you be prepared to do to survive?" and there certainly is a lot to ponder whilst watching the film. Visually the film was awesome, there was massive contrast between the vivid colours that existed before 'the incident' and the scorched dying lands of the present day. Acting-wise once again things were very enjoyable, the love that the father and son shared felt real and honest, so I ask myself why (when I reached the credits) did I feel so god damn terrible!?
I guess the content was just too bleak, everything was grey and depressing, you could see that things weren't going to improve. Every character would either be trying to kill someone or lying in their own filth crying. There just wasn't enough positive scenes, things need to be balanced out and they just weren't. The conclusion was happy, but it didn't make me feel that way as there was so much loss and pain throughout the film that whatever brief happiness existed was instantly consumed by sadness. I have to say that after watching the film I did look at the comfortable lifestyle I live in and appreciate things a lot more, but that's not really why I watch a movie.
So no secrets here, I did not enjoy 'The Road', and would only recommend it to you if you're planning to take your own life and need something to just push you over the edge.

The depressing nature of it sounds like 'Unbreakable'. All grey and dreary. It's one of those things, I think, you need in moderation.
ReplyDelete